Sunday 12 June 2011

chapter 10 - school run mum


That was 2 years ago, and as I sit looking out onto our new Garden, from our new study, in our new area, that contains new schools, I think to myself

That took forever!!!!

Ok, so we’ve moved, we live in a village called Danbury and I have to say, I actually love living here. I found this place on Rightmove, I know, can you believe it. It’s not like I was on it everyday, checking!! I came across it and it looked lovely, so phoned Grant at work and said he needed to go and view this house in his lunch break. Within 5 minutes of him seeing the house he called me back and announced

“I’ve put a deposit on it, we move in 6 weeks!”

Right! Did I say my life was Mundane? Did I say I wanted excitement in my life? Did I expect after 2 years of trying to talk my family round to moving, that Grant would walk into a house and put a deposit down there and then? I can safely say… Yes, it didn’t surprise me. Once he sees what he wants, that’s it, we’ve got it! I screamed down the phone, put the phone down, picked it up again and called him back,

“The kids and I haven’t seen it; do we get to view it before we move?”
“Saturday!”

I was going Saturday! I put the phone down again, screamed again then had a massive heart attack… I can’t leave my friends! Have we made the right decision? I can’t leave my friends! I have to pack the whole house! I CAN’T LEAVE MY FRIENDS!!!! 

After a quick counselling session with myself (much cheaper) I realised that after 5 years of living in the same house, we were leaving. I had so many memories in that house. Good and bad. I was leaving the place where we had made them, what was I doing? I came round pretty quickly, got in the car and went to my friend the Box Man, to collect a ton of boxes for packing! Everytime I see him he gives me the history of cardboard boxes and the best way to fold them. I nod, smile and then walk away. I just want boxes, not a degree in them!!

Now the boxes have all been unpacked, put in the garage, homes found for everything, bedrooms chosen, and arguments had over those decisions. I feel at home already! Only the other day I over a conversation between Grant and Gabe, that assured me we were settled.

“What milk do you like, blue or green top?”  Grant asks Gabe as he’s stood there eating a big bowl of cereal!
“I don’t care as long as its milk!” Gabe’s couldn’t care less answer.
“Blue tops creamier”
“Did you know you can get purple top?” He says with a surprised tone
“Is that Cravendale?”
“I don’t know, I just look at the tops not the labels!”

It strikes me as funny how he only knows the milk by the colour of the lid! I just love the little things it is with kids.

Elliot and Sienna at school, as the older three make their own way to their respective schools. It’s a beautiful day, and I decide to surprise Imogen with a trip to the park. I pat myself on the back, saying what a good mum I am, when She asks

“Can we go to the Park?”

Hmph…. Should have got in there earlier! I put my biggest smile on and reply

“Yeah, of course we can, do you want to get a treat before we go?”

I will surprise her today!! She’s bouncing up and down now, we walk from the school, via the store to pick up a treat and some water. This is the store where I worked for a month and a half, the stopped. Due to it being so flipping early in the morning! . I cleaned the store before it opened, 6 days a week! I was ready for bed by 2pm. I paid off Gabe’s school trip to Belgium, then quit!! That first lay in was glorious!

Anyways, I wander into the store and meet one of the managers, I stop to chat, but Imogen is pulling my arm off to go to the sweetie section. I tell her to wait. As if….. Telling a three year old to wait for a sweetie just isn’t going to happen. I asked the manager to walk and talk!! He laughs and we set off to sweetie heaven. I finish up the conversation, and turn round. Imogen is stood there with an arm full of chocolate!!

“Put them all back and get one!”
“But they are all my best!”
“I know, but you can only have one best”
“Can I have three best?”
“No”
“Three best….pleeeease”
“Two best”
“Ok, I’ll have this as number one best, and this one number two best”
“Right”
“Can you put these back?”

I walk off to the cash register. Cheeky minx. She puts them all back, in the right places may I add, and follows me over to pay, I let her pay for her stuff, and then she pockets the change! This kid will be loaded when she’s older, knows how to haggle, and has no qualms about taking other peoples money.

We wander over to the park, and she heads for the Massive slide. I sit down and watch. Other people in the park seem to be having heart attacks watching her. Not sure why, they really don’t know this kid. She’s afraid of nothing. I watch her grab hold of the bar over the top of the slide, and lift both feet in the air, then proceeds to swing for a minute. I’m sure I’m going to have to perform CPR on an older lady who is watching her. She lets go and slides down on her bum, with her legs in the air, straight off the end, jumps up, says

“That was cool, wasn’t it Mummy?”

and then runs to the ladder to repeat the whole process again! We gradually make our way around the park, and people gradually leave. Imogens stunt show is obviously too much for them. We come to the slide that was designed for her age group. She climbs up and stands at the top telling me she’s trapped and I need to help. I blame these Disney movies! I walk over to her and pretend to free her. I tell her to escape down the slide.
As I stand at the end of the slide, filming her, she curls up into a little ball and slides down on her feet, two seconds after leaving the top of the slide, she careers to the left and falls head first over the side!!! What the…….!!!

This slide is a third of the size, of the one she was doing acrobatics on!! Seriously, what is she like?. I carry on filming, then as I turn it off, to see if she is ok, she jumps up laughing, and says

“That was funny, I fell off!”

Phew! I ask her if she wants to eat her treat, and she tells me in a minute, she’s just catching a butterfly. Well, this is the cutest thing in the world. She skip along, in the only way a toddler knows how, like a horse trotting! She spots a butterfly and trots with fairy lightness after this butterfly, her hands twirling in the air above her head, and whispering very loudly to me

“Look Mummy, I’m chasing the butterfly!”

I get out the treat, and she forgets the butterfly and gallops over to me. As we sit on the bench, eating and chatting, she turns to me and says

“Mummy, we best friends aren’t we!”

I reply

“Yes, we are bestest friends”

It’s times like these that everything is right in the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment