Wednesday 18 May 2011

chapter 9 School run mum


As Grant walks through the door, I greet him with a massive smile.

“Look at what I found today!”

I lead him over to the computer, where I already have the list waiting. The kids are not long from going to bed, they are all in the TV room, just finishing a movie. I sit down gently next to him, a wait to hear his response!

“Why am I looking at this?”
“Well I was thinking that we’ve been in this house for almost five years, I’ve outgrown it! I feel I need to move on, I love this house and all, but that feeling is in me that we need to move!”

I wait on tenterhooks, trying to read his eyes!! Would help if he opened them! His mouth is opening, he’s going to say something, he’s coming closer…. What’s he doing??

He plants a big kiss on my lips, smiles and says

“I don’t think so”

WHAT!!!  I’ve got the feeling though, does he not realise this! The feeling that starts in my toes, and then gradually works it way up, till my fingers are twitching, and the only way I can get them to stop, is to tap out the words Rightmove on the keyboard!! ARGH……7 against 1 are not good odds! Mmm, I need to rethink my strategy. I need to become tactical, I need to think about it logically, I need to get a drink, I’m so thirsty!

I stand next to the sink with a tall glass of water and then call to Grant

“Why?”
“Because it’s not a good time, money, schools, we have other things to pay out for; do you want me to carry on?”
“No!”

The wheels in my head are turning,

“It’ll be nearer your work, so less travel and petrol!!”
“That’s true, but weighed up overall, not enough to swing it”

This doesn’t look like its going to happen. I come to the depressing conclusion that I’ll let it rest for a little while, but will keep my eye on the market, I’m not exactly packing boxes, or phoning removal companies…… might be an idea to get a quote though!!

I wander back in and announce the bedtime routine will now begin…. Starting with the nightly brushing of the teeth.

“Can we just…”
“No, teeth, now!”

All six slowly rise from their places on the sofas, and walk round shouldered towards the stairs, Imogen is just copying them and looks hilarious, her shoulders are up by her ears! I turn to Grant who has made himself comfy on the sofa and say

“Are we going halves or just me?”

Translated for the Non-Watling it means….. Are we going to take three each and put them to bed or am I doing it all by myself tonight? He decides we’re going halves; I give him the boys and Imogen, haha, that’ll serve him right for not moving. We crawl up the stairs, start the bedtime palaver, and almost slide down the stairs again once finished. Why does it take them seconds to wake up, jump out of bed and come downstairs in the morning, but a lifetime to go to bed?? I don’t get it. I decide one day to make a study of it, but for now I’ve just got the wonder team into bed and there’s no way I have the strength to even pick up a remote let alone become a scientist for the night! We both walk through the door at once and get stuck, or did Grant just want to be close?......No, his on the sofa already!!

We sit there, eyes glued to the Television, both still, apart from when the credits roll up and we both become ninjas to see who will get the remote first! Grant looks at me and asks

“Do you want a Hot Chocolate?”
“Oooo yes please” I reply
“Can you get me one aswell then please?”

I only do it because I want a Hot chocolate and biscuits! Wonder how long I’ll be doing this for in this house?

No comments:

Post a Comment