Wednesday 18 May 2011

Chapter 8 School run mum

I get itchy feet!! Not literally, but I tend to get bored of living in our houses! So we’ve moved a lot! An expensive hobby, but Grant indulges me. I think this is house number 9 for us! We’ve been married for 13 years and I think it works out a house every year or two. I think that Irish blood that runs through my veins pulls me on, much to my kid’s annoyance.

“You are going to love this house, come and look at it with Daddy and I, You’ll still be in the same school!”
“Where is it?”
“Not sure, let me get the map”
“Do we have to, I like this garden”
“Yeah, and I like my room!”
“Well this one has a bigger garden, and I’ll do you a cool new room!”

These were our general conversations before we moved, and then the house hunting began!! I’m so nosey, I just looking around houses! Haha. But I tend to fall in love with quite a few! I’ll be an eternal interior designer. I think that’s why I get bored, oh no, am I now going to have counselling sessions probing into why I feel the need to move every 6 months??

“Yes Mrs Watling, you see, I think this excessive house moving all stems from the time when you were walking home from school and saw that house, which meant you were not satisfied with your house or as it wasn’t yours, we’ll say your bedroom, this I believe stems from your wants for the material things in life which stems from making your surroundings nice and pleasing, which I think gives you security, therefore gives you comfort, because I give it to you that you are afraid of the dark!!”

It always comes down to people being afraid of the dark!

No I’m afraid of the dark because I’ve watched to many movies!! So, after my self diagnosis, I realise I have that itchy feeling! The wind of time are a changing. Just like the movie Choclat, except that I don’t move house when a bit of wind blows, I don’t own a cloak and I’m not really thinking of moving to a tranquil little town in France! So actually nothing like Chocolat!! I give a quick check to the Lasagne, and go to the computer. Ahhh, kids doing homework!! Rubbish, when did they become so studious!

I search the house for a paper and realise I have recycled it! Check me, recycled it! Mother earth!! I decide to sit down and think over my rashness. Do I really want to move? Do I really want to move from this lovely 6 bed house, with it’s big back garden, it’s close to the station, a minutes walk to the town, friends we’ve had for years, and the best chinese place I’ve ever had!! Do I really want to move? Do I really want to move? For some strange, unknown reason, I actually really do, now how do I break this to Grant, and the kids.

“Kids, do you fancy moving?”
“NO!”

Mmmm, didn’t go to well! Maybe I should have gone in with a plate of cookies! That’s where my plan went wrong. Oh why am I so rash, I need to start at the beginning of my plans and not jump straight to the finale!

Step one – Bake cookies, ah man, all I’ve got is a Lasagne and some garlic bread, wonder if that will get me anywhere? I finish the dinner and call the hoards in to devour the food that I have just placed on the table. I hear what sounds like hundreds of feet pounding on the floor and get ready for the grand entrance of six hungry kids! It never ceases to amaze me what a big group they look like when they are all together. My little army marching together to conquer the Kitchen!

They descend on the table and all make a grab for the spoon that’s placed by the side of the Lasagne. With my catlike reflexes, I pick it up before anyone else. I reign supreme, and am more importantly in control of portion sizes. I dish out, and take a seat at the end of the table.

“So…..” now’s not the time
“So, how’s all your days been?” I’m sure I have some cookies in the cupboard, later Keely, bide your time!
“I climbed to the top of the rope in PE today, I touched the ceiling”
“Good job, Elliot, how did you get down?”
“I slid and now I have burnt hands!”

I thought this would have been a subject to raise when he first saw me at school, Burnt hands!, I’d be telling anyone who’d listen, and probably waving them about in the cool air. Or is that just me. As I quiz my hard nut son a little more, Sienna pipes up with

“ I love Garlic bread”
“That’s great darling, so are you ok now Elliot?”
“Yep”
“Mum, can we have Garlic bread everyday, I love it?”
“No, it doesn’t go with every single meal Sienna, normally Italian meals, pizza, bolog….”
“Are we Italian?”
“No!”
“Why do we eat Italian food all the time then?”
“We don’t!”

Then I think back to the last two weeks dinners, rubbish, she’s right! Note to self, read entire cookbook shelf! I ease away from the table, and slowly and quietly pull a packet of cookies out of the cupboard. My secret weapon! I arrange them nicely on the plate, and once the last scraps of dinner have been licked of the plates, I place the plate on the table, and get down to business.

“I was thinking of moving, what do you think?”
“We said no earlier! Did you not hear us?”
“Yes, but I’m treating you like adults and opening up a discussion about it” Nice touch I think!

We sit and talk pros and cons for about 10 minutes, and then they are bored. But we have come to an answer. A resounding NO!!  What a waste of a pack of cookies, what will I have with my hot chocolate tonight now? I call back the troops, and point to the chores chart. Groans ring in my ears, so I escape the noise and leave them to it. All they have to do is load a dishwasher!! I notice the computer is free and open up a new tab quickly before the kids come back. Type in Rightmove and see what comes up.

“What area do we move to?”
“What?”
“Nothing, talking to myself, not the kitchen staff!!” Didn’t realise I had said that out loud!

The world is my oyster, I can pick anywhere, Peru, Iceland, China, I type in 10 miles from Benfleet!! I like to live dangerously! Thousands of houses come up on a never ending list, I decide to refine it. I type in a price, number of bedrooms, and press find properties. That’s better, a more manageable list. I trawl through the long line of houses, putting far too many into my favourites to show Grant when he gets home.  More cookies are needed I think!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment