Sunday 8 May 2011

Chapter 4 of School Run Mum

Once the Devil Trainer has completed her mission of almost killing us, I stand beside my bike that has just kicked my butt for the past forty five minutes, and and try to fight the urge to throw up! i hang my head over the seat and try to listen to the conversation that is going on above me! Imogen! She can be my excuse....
"Excuse me a mo ladies, got to get Midge!"
"Ok my love, meet you downstairs in the Cafe!"
"Yep!"
Short sentences are the best, when you're not too sure what is going to come out of your mouth! Luck was with me today, words were the only thing leaving my mouth! Now, for those that have done a Spin class or any gym class for that matter, you will know when I say that to overcome the fear of falling down the stairs is a major obstacle in getting to the creche, locker rooms or Exit!! I stand at the top of the stairs, look down, coach my legs on how how we are going to do this, and take that first step of faith! one step down, and I don't feel that tumbling sensation. Great, that cord is connected from my brain to my legs! Two steps, three, four.... confidence is growing, I feel I can now stand upright and bring my legs closer together! I make a dignified entrance into the reception area only to trip walking past the desk. Why, Why can't I be like those always composed Mums? You know the ones.........They are always made up, not a hair out of place, clothes are immaculate and match, they don't walk, they glide, and when they eat, it is always the perfect size to put in their lovely lip glossed mouths!
I walk a little fsater to the Creche, and smile,
"How was Imogen?"
"Great, had a play, then snuggled up to Sarah, she's fast asleep now!"
Seriously, do they not know, that now she will not sleep tonight until about three hours after her bedtime!! I smile, say "Greeeat!" and push the little door open when I hear the buzzer go. I wander down the little corridor that has windows all on one side, and a big jungle gym on the other. As I walk past these windows, I always feel like I've come to pick a child, it feels like I'm in a dog pound, and I get to see them play, before I make up my mind, which one I will take home with me. I look through thw door as I reach, glancing around for Imogen, lazy little minx is all curled up on Sarahs lap, in the midst of a mountain of cushions!! I steady myself on the gate, and grab her bag and shoes, they hand her over to me, and I almost drop her. Exercise is dangerous! I grab her in a bear hug, and say thankyou. I now realise I am stuck inside the creche, I can slowly feel my legs starting to collapse, so I shout over my shoulder
"can someone just gaet the gate for me, I forgot my hurdling shoes today!"
One of the girls comes to my rescue, and I slowly make my way up the corridor, only to be faced with another gate.... my goodness, it's easier getting out of Alcatraz, I'm sure! The receptionists clicks the buzzer, and I plough forward, taking no prisoners. ARGH, the door out is a pully one!!! I feel like I am on a game show, one more task and I win the £50 000. I almost melt under the pressure, when another Mum, who looks just as red as me, much to my pleasure, burst through the door. I make a run for it, Indiana Jones Style, make it out just before Imogens bag gets caught in the door!
Da Da, I feel I should be clapped as I walk back through the reception over to the cafe! Do these people not appreciate, what I just had to go through, to make it to my lunch.... and to top it all off... no £50 000!
I wander over to the table where Tan, Kelly and Lauren are. by this time, Imogen is awake, and has noticed Bella. Cool, those two will play and I can chat. I go and buy a healthy lunch ( sneaking a Starbucks Hot Chocolate in ) and set it on the table. I love to lunch. I am a lunching lady. No this isn't Lunching Annonymus, but I could easily do it proffessionally. I sink into the cosy chairs, and join the conversation. Clothes, oh goodie, my favourite subject, teamed with Shoes! Lauren has a party to go to, and we are all deciding what she should wear. An imaginary wardrobe suddenly pops up. In Five minutes, she's suited and booted and onto another subject. Its amazing the number of subjects a group of women can cover in an hour. We spoken about the party, teachers, school, food, resturants, cars, interior design, troubles, gym, husbands, children, some "other stuff". the list goes on. Once we've put the world to rights, we stand up, grab bags and children, hug, and kiss, and say
"see you in a couple of hours!"
We are still talking as we all reach our cars. I am first in, and toot my horn as I drive past. With Music up loud, and me and Imogen, singing louder, we make our way home. The car starts to judder. Noooooooo.

No comments:

Post a Comment