Monday 9 May 2011

Chapter 6 of School Run Mum

Chapter 6 of School Run Mum
I grab a towel, and wrap it round me, and walk out of the en-suite. I get a sudden pang of modesty, and look around the whole upper floor of my house for my dressing gown. I find it laid out crease free on Sienna's bed, she's obviously used it as a cover last night! I grab it.

DING DONG

Oh my goodness, what is so important that this person after two rings of my doorbell has not given up? I throw the dressing gown on me and almost trip head first down the stairs, I check myself in the mirror as I walk to the door, just to make sure I am not sporting the runny mascara look, managed to avoid it, due to only being in the shower for 20 seconds!!

I open the door and am about to say Hello, when I stop in my tracks and almost scream..... No-ones there!! I almost want to run down the road and find this person, and demand they tell me what was so urgent that they Ding Dong three times, and THEN walk off! I shut the door and run back up to the shower, I left it running so it's still a lovely temperature. I jump back in and the phone goes..... They can leave a message!

Once clean and smelling sweet, I emerge from the Sauna that is my En-suite, and fall backwards onto my bed. I lay there for a minute, thinking
"I’ve got an hour and a half till the kids get out!"

My eyes open at !! The kids get out of school in 15 minutes, I am still laying on the bed, in my dressing gown, with Imogen curled up next to me. What the heck! I sit up so fast I feel dizzy. I grab my phone and text Tan and tell her what's happened.
"Can you grab Sienna when she gets out if I'm not there pleasey?"
"Sure honey :)" comes back the reassuring text. Phew.
I grab my jogging suit, put it on in record time, a pair of flip flops that are laying around, are slid onto my feet in seconds, and I grab a baseball cap, as going to sleep with wet hair, doesn't always turn out to be the best way to style it!! Why can't I find these things out when I've got more time. I scoop Imogen up into my arms, pick up her coat on the way out the door, only just catching it, to run back into the house to get my keys. I strap Imogen in, her head nodding everywhere the entire time, and jump into the car......
"PLEASE START, of all the times I need you to start first time, this would be it, PLEASE!"
I turn the key in the ignition, and the engine fires up with an almighty roar! I don't have time for a celebratory dance, so I chuck it into reverse and am on my way! I park on the curb, not really the place to park, I know, but Sienna always looks so disappointed in me if I'm late, that I've made it my mission in life to always be on time. I can't take the big puppy dog eyes, that seem to be asking me
"Why, Why did you leave me here, when all the other Mummies took their children at the right time?"

I literally throw Imogen over my shoulder, and run down the path to Sienna's classroom door! Tan calls out
"Just in time my love, the doors just opening"
I manage to escape the look, to live another day. I apologise for the way I look, and notice Sienna's smiley little face emerge from the classroom! I wave and relax. She's none the wiser, I am still a good mummy, and on the plus side, I am totally on time to pick the boys and Chloe up. The afternoon chat is in full swing when I arrive. I fill the girls in on my laziness and stand back to listen to the playground buzz. I love it, there's a certain feeling about the playground, it's like this safe enclosure. It's a little area of town, where gossip is shared, lunch dates are made, and kids are swapped for play dates, to be returned home later. As soon as you walk out of the gates, things change. You become 'Mum' again. As I wait for the boys and Chloe to join us in the Infants playground, I chat, I make two Lunch dates and I manage to get a cupcake order. Did I mention I make cupcakes? It's a way of making money, and the kids love it, as I always make a few extra!

I hear the boys before I see them, Imogen and Sienna have run off to play on the Trim Trail, and the boys have just thrown their bags to join Sienna's at my feet. Chloe wanders round with her friends, and chats with them.... a school run mum in training! I shout out they have five minutes, I know it will be more like ten to fifteen, as I will get talking! It tends to be my little group of mums that are always the last out of the playground. I keep to my word tonight, and am only five minutes. The kids run off towards the gate before my voice seems to throw an invisible rope around them all and pulls them back to me.
"Bags!"
They each grab their bags, and head at a snails pace now up to the gate. I say my farewells, and quickly walk up to the gate. Here I start chatting with another mum, so the kids, huddle while I laugh and words like...Really?....No!....You're kidding fall out of my mouth. The kids start bouncing about and try to catch my eye. I say goodbye, and head towards my car. I hadn't locked it, so the kids are already in there by the time I arrive. I clip Imogen in, and as I put one leg in the car, I hear someone call my name. It's Deb! The kids give a collective groan, we always talk for ages. I decide to ignore their chorus, and bring my leg back out, and give Deb a hug.
We talked for ages! I get back in the car, and the kids say in unison
"Can we go home NOW?"
"Yes, I wasn't that long!"
 The silent look on the back seat, let’s me know I was.

We head home, the car deciding that today, is a good day. I wave all the way home, even to Lisa in Tickled Pink. As we pull up to the drive, the clicks of the seat belts ring in my ears. As soon as we stop the kids are flying out of the car and are hopping up and down on the front doorstep to get in! I grab Imogen, and walk as slowly as I can... hehe....
"Hurry Up, I need the toilet!"
Oh, I quicken my step; I don't want any more washing today. They all pile in and dash to the toilets. We have three, and they seem to always be in use. How's that? I stand in the living room and say to myself
"Let the fun begin!"

"MUM!"

Here we go!

No comments:

Post a Comment